5.14.2008

bocadilla chocolate?

Me and Sheri's (my roommate who also goes to FISK) host mother, Maria decided to make us both lunch for the following day. In doing such, she asked me "Quieres una bocadilla chocolate o una bocadilla salami" - Do you want a chocolate sandwich or a salami sandwich? the thought of a chocolate sandwich was a little strange, but I don't enjoy salami at ALL so i just went with the chocolate sandwich. Then she asked for me to go to our room to ask Sheri which one she'd prefer. Sheri & I laughed at the options we were given and I told her that i'd go back and tell Maria that she ONLY wants bread, but when I said "Quiere pan solo"- She wants bread only, Maria looked like she was a little weirded out. lol. So Sheri, not fully knowing how to say "only bread", points to each sandwich and says "NO y NO" (no and no) and tells her that she doesn't like either. So Maria gives her ANOTHER option "Marmalada?" And I say to Sheri in English - Okay, Jelly and Bread... That sounds cool and Sheri says "si". But then Maria says "Marmalada y queso" (Jelly & cheese". i think it's absolutely HILARIOUS, so i'm trying to keep from busting out laughing - meanwhile the Austrian foreign exchange student also living with us is in the room & can't stop laughing (which makes it 10 times harder for me to stop laughing). So i just l ran to our bedroom to let it all out. It was the funniest, most awkward situation EVER. but somehow they came to an agreement and Sheri ended up having Jelly & bread for lunch. ERIN on the other hand was still stuck with the bocadilla chocolate! & I tried it... it really wasn't that bad... or maybe i was just starving... it was around 3:00pm and I hadn't eaten all day... So i ended up eating most of it. I told my mom about it & when she told my aunt, she did a little research of her own on the internet and found out that "the Spanish often serve such a delight to kids as a treat". FOR YOUR VISUAL PLEASURE:
















MORAL OF THE STORY:
in traveling to another country, one must have certain expectations:
different culture. different lifestyle. different language. different food.
being from America, people in other countries expect us to be extremely egocentric.
so i try to make sure that while i'm here, i don't make statements like "the _____ in America is better".
"It is important to remember that things are not "wrong" or "right or "better or "worse", just different"

5 comments:

joy.music.life said...

lol that is absolutely disgustinggggggggggggg! I wouldve just did the jelly and bread..chocolate is GROSS..

Purp. said...

lmfao. yeah... it was pretty uhh... interesting to say the least.

YHANNI said...

that's sooo dope

im want to go to spain next year with my spanish class..

when in spain..

Anonymous said...

wow! what an experience!!! my little brother eats that stuff on a regular. i dont like it.. lol shit looks like shit!

Purp. said...

you should definitely go, yhanni - it's awesome!!!

& lmfao @ shit looks like shit. shit tastes like shit too! this bitch tried to give me another one for lunch today!!!! lol.

come come on the kick-drum.

#.

eXTReMe Tracker